The logo of Red Hat since May 1, 2019
Red Hat Tower, the headquarters of Red Hat
|Strategic Business Unit|
|Predecessor||Cygnus Solutions, ArsDigita, JBoss, C2Net, Sistina Software|
|Paul Cormier (President and CEO)|
|Revenue||US$3.4 billion (2018)|
|US$512 million (2018)|
|US$434 million (2018)|
|Total assets||US$5.588 billion (2018)|
|Total equity||US$1.613 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
Red Hat, Inc. is an American multinational software company that provides open source software products to enterprises. Founded in 1993, Red Hat has its corporate headquarters in Raleigh, North Carolina, with other offices worldwide. It became a subsidiary of IBM on July 9, 2019.
Red Hat has become associated to a large extent with its enterprise operating system Red Hat Enterprise Linux. With the acquisition of open-source enterprise middleware vendor JBoss, Red Hat also offers Red Hat Virtualization (RHV), an enterprise virtualization product. Red Hat provides storage, operating system platforms, middleware, applications, management products, and support, training, and consulting services.
Red Hat creates, maintains, and contributes to many free software projects. It has acquired several proprietary software product codebases through corporate mergers and acquisitions and has released such software under open source licenses. As of March 2016[update], Red Hat is the second largest corporate contributor to the Linux kernel version 4.14 after Intel.
On October 28, 2018, IBM announced its intent to acquire Red Hat for $34 billion. The acquisition closed on July 9, 2019. Red Hat's lead financial adviser in the transaction was Guggenheim Securities.
- "We've launched new corporate brand and logo system - Red Hat". May 1, 2019. Retrieved April 6, 2020.
- "Finance.yahoo.com". finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved October 14, 2017.
- "Paul Cormier - Red Hat". Retrieved April 6, 2020.
- "SEC filing FY 2019 | Financial Information". www.sec.gov. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- "Investor Relations | Financial Information". redhat.com. Retrieved August 29, 2018.
- "Investor FAQs". Red Hat. How many employees do you have?.
- "IBM Closes Landmark Acquisition of Red Hat for $34 Billion; Defines Open, Hybrid Cloud Future". redhat.com.
- Corbet, Jonathan (October 20, 2017). "A look at the 4.14 development cycle". LWN.net. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Wattles, Jackie (October 28, 2018). "IBM to acquire cloud computing firm Red Hat for $34 billion". CNN.
- "IBM to acquire software company Red Hat for $34 billion". Reuters. October 28, 2018.
- "IBM to Acquire Linux Distributor Red Hat for $33.4 Billion". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- "IBM Closes Landmark Acquisition of Red Hat for $34 Billion; Defines Open, Hybrid Cloud Future". www.redhat.com. Retrieved July 9, 2019.